Planning Costs


Pre-Planning Application will attract a Local Authority statutory fee. There is no statutory period for applications, however local authorities try to respond within 28 working days.  it is not uncommon for the process to take longer. 

Local authority fees for pre application enquiries can be found here:

North Devon Council

Torridge District Council


Planning Applications will attract a Local Authority statutory fee depending on the project type and scale and mass.  The statutory period for applications is 8 weeks or 13 weeks (major) from plan validation.  

As part of a planning application there is normally a requirement for supporting documentation, some of which will require the engagement of other consultants whose fees falls outside of our agreement.  Once instructed we will obtain quotations.  

These may include, but are not limited to:


An Ecological Survey will establish the presence of any endangered species for mitigation purposes. The services of a DEFRA licensed Ecologist may be required in this respect.

What to Expect From a Bat Survey: A Guide for UK Homeowners is available here.


A survey to demonstrate condition of barn and its capability for conversion.


An Arboriculture Statement will assess if trees impact on the development or will need to be removed. 


A topographical survey will determine levels, boundary positions and positions of adjacent buildings etc. 


This will provide a statement on the heritage of listed buildings and appraise the impact of any development. 

Examples of typical requirements for the following projects:

  • Householder extensions
    May require ecology survey
  • Barn conversions
    Will require ecology survey and condition survey
  • New dwellings
    Likely to require topographical and ecology survey


The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 is a legislative framework intended to prevent or resolve disputes about party walls, party structures, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings – 

Where you propose to carry out work on a wall or structure of the kinds described below then you will need to give your neighbour a ‘party wall notice’. Once you have served notice, the receipt of permission from your neighbour then constitutes what is usually known as a ‘party wall agreement’. If you do not receive consent from your neighbour, the Act provides a dispute resolution procedure. 

Works covered by the act:

Work that is to be carried out directly to an existing party wall or party structure.

Any new building next to the boundary line between properties.

Any new building astride the boundary line between properties; and Excavation within 3 or 6 metres of a neighbouring building or structure, dependant on the depth of the excavation or proposed foundation. 

If any of the above applies you must seek specialist advice from a qualified party wall surveyor. 

Get in touch to see how we can help you